This whole section is being reworked into better structure and useful styles.
2014 and older
Books, Blogs, and Articles
- Liberated Tester Podcast, Maaret Pyhäjärvi on The 10x Tester, Maximizing Your Impact, Testing Dozen and Watermelons: LT012 Part 2, March 30th, 2023
- Liberated Tester Podcast, Maaret Pyhäjärvi on the Paradox of Tight Schedules, Pull Systems, Art of Co-Creation and Ensemble Programming, LT011-Part1, March 13th 2023
- Linkedin event, Things to Unlearn with Maaret and Shruti, Feb 3rd 2023
- QA Therapy Podcast, Exploratory Testing with Maaret Pyhäjärvi, February 9th 2023
- glich Podcast, Examining the nuances of Software Testing, December 22nd, 2022
- Quality Bits Podcast, Bandwidth to Grow: Supporting Growth and Change with Maaret Pyhäjärvi, November 28th, 2022
- Quality Sense Podcast, Exploratory Testing, September 30th, 2022
- Koodarikuiskaaja, Yhteisohjelmoinnissa tehdään yllättäviä asioita, August 28th, 2022
- The Mob Mentality Show, Ensemble Teaching, Exploratory Testing, and Product Development with Maaret Pyhäjärvi, May 2022
- The Testing Show, Women in Testing Part 1 and Part 2, March 2022.
- Data Democratization Podcast, March 2022, Data Challenges in Software Testing with Maaret Pyhäjärvi, Episode 28, on March 2022.
- Koodia Pinnan Alla, Testaaminen pinnan alla, May 25th 2021
- Quare Meetcast, Exploratory Testing Reclaimed with Maaret and Anne-Marie on December 16th 2020.
- Code Her Stories, Conversation with Maaret Pyhäjärvi, on December 5th 2020
- Quality Coach Roadshow, Episode 15 Quality Coach Roadshow Maaret Pyhäjärvi, recorded in July 15th 2020.
- AB Testing, Learning with Maaret on July 13th, 2020
- Developer Melange, Time Travel to the Past July 1st, 2020
- Modern Agile Show, Interview with Maaret Pyhäjärvi, April 22nd, 2020
- Agilpodden, Agile without Product Owner April 30th, 2020
- Webbidevaus.fi, React Finland 2: Designkirjastot ja testaaminen May 2019
- IT Career Energizer, Learn Not to be Afraid of Doing Things Differently with Maaret Pyhajarvi April 2019
- The Guilty Tester, Working Together is Hard, Maaret Pyhäjärvi September 2018
- Cucumber Podcast, Collaboration between testers and developers, Maaret Pyhäjärvi & Juke Sauerwein March 2018
- Two points of View at Two, Discussion on Collaboration with Maaret Pyhäjärvi and Rex Black February 2018
- Reflection as a Service, Maaret Pyhäjärvi on Testing Software, Feb 2017
- Scrum Master's Toolbox, Maaret Pyhäjärvi on how to lead change from the back of the room January 2017
- Scrum Master's Toolbox, Maaret Pyhäjärvi on the “always one more thing to add” anti-pattern January 2017
- Scrum Master's Toolbox, Maaret Pyhäjärvi explains how the whole team can work together
- Scrum Master's Toolbox, Maaret Pyhäjärvi on how anyone in the team can take up the role of Scrum Master
- Scrum Master's Toolbox, Maaret Pyhäjärvi on Context Driven testing and how that helps understand the system we work within
- Testing in the Pub, Maaret and Graig live from Testing in the Pub at TestBash Philadelphia, 2016
- Ministry of Testing Podcast, We Talk All Things Mob Testing with Maaret Pyhäjärvi, 2016
- Let's Talk about Tests Baby, Episode 61 / It Takes Two with Maaret Pyhäjärvi, 6.8.2016,
- Test Talks, Episode 115 / Agile, Lean Startup Mindsets with Maaret Pyhäjärvi, 14.8.2016
- Developer on Fire, Episode 116 / Maaret Pyhäjärvi: Enabling Voices, 28.3.2016
- Testing in the Pub, Episode 22 / Mobbing and Pairing with Maaret Pyhäjärvi, 20.11.2015
- Change in the world of testing - New Misconceptions from Old Folklore in Browserstack blog, Feb 11th, 2022.
- Experiencing 5x Transformation in Agile Thoughts Magazine June 2021
- Contemporary Exploratory Testing in testproject.io blog April 20th, 2021
- Social Software Testing Approaches in bbst.courses blog
June 16th 2020
- Fighting against Automation isn't doing anyone a favor in
Viv Richard's book Around the World with 80 Software Testers 4/2020
- Exploratory Testing Essentials - Questions and Answers
in Xray blog, April 21st 2020.
Test Automation Process Improvement in a DevOps Team: Experience Report in NEXTA 2020
- Intersection of Exploratory Testing and Test Automation (to be published in spring 2020 in
Quality Matters 1/2020 [ORIGINAL]
- Test Automation Process Improvement in a DevOps Team: Experience Report
- Mob Testing - an Introduction and Experience Report. In Ministry of Testing, the Testing Planet 2018, January 2018.
- Making Teams Awesome (to be published in autumn 2018) in
Quality Matters 1/2018
Mob Testing: An Introduction and Experience Report
in Ministry of Testing, the Testing Planet 2018, January 2018.
Five Controversial Ideas to Increase Your Impact as a Tester.
In Women Testers, August 2017.
Amplified Learning with Mob Testing. In Stickyminds, January 2017
How to Explore with Intent - Exploratory Testing Self-Management.
In In Ministry of Testing, the Testing Planet 2016, November 2016.
Learning Programming through Osmosis. In Voxxed, September 2016. [ORIGINAL]
Exploratory Testing an API. In Ministry of Testing, the Testing Planet 2016, September 2016.
My Year of Lessons for Aspiring Speakers. In Women Testers, January 2016
Turn up the Good. A Tester Meets Mob Programming. In Testing Trapeze, August 2015
Use of Rapid Reporter in Exploratory Testing. In Testing Circus, April 2014
Increasing Understanding of the Modern Testing Perspective in Software Product Development Projects.
in the Proceedings of the Hawai'i International Conference on System Sciences, 2003.
A Tentative Framework for Managing Software Product Development in Small Companies.
In Proceedings of HICCS, 2002.
Awards and Nominations
- ICT 100 Most Influential 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 by Tivi
- Most Influential Agile Testing Professional Person (MIATPP) 2016, awarded by Agile Testing Days
- EuroSTAR Testing Excellence Award 2020
Me on list articles
Me on Conference Program Committees>
- 2023 Program Committee Member, Selenium Conference (Chicago)
- 2020, 2022 Program Committee Member, Selenium Conference India
- 2021, 2022 Program Committee Member, SEETest
- 2022 Program Committee Member, Geekle QA Conference
- 2015-2020 Main Organizer/Conference Designer European Testing Conference (Bucharest/Romania, Helsinki/Finland, Amsterdam/Netherlands, Valencia/Spain, Amsterdam/Netherlands
- 2013-2014 Main Organizer, Tampere Goes Agile (Tampere/Finland)
- 2013 Program Committee Member, EuroSTAR
Positions of Responsibility
- 2022-> Selenium Project Leadership Committee
- 2022-2023 Tivia ry / Tivia Infuture Oy / Tietotekniikan kehittämissäätiö Board of Directors, member of the board
- 2014-> Ohjelmistotestaus ry (Software Testing Finland) Board of Directors, chairman and founder
- 2017 Agile Finland ry, member of the board
- 1999-2009 Sytyke Testauksen osaamisyhteisö (Finnish Association for Software Testing), chairman
Me in news
- Tässä ovat 100 IT-vaikuttajaa, Tivi, 5.12.2022
- Tässä ovat 100 ICT-vaikuttajaa 2021, Tivi, 7.12.2021
- Tässä ovat 100 IT-vaikuttajaa 2020, Tivi, 16.12.2020
- Tässä ovat 100 IT-vaikuttajaa 2019, Tivi, 13.12.2019
- With 2500+ testers and developers from 100+ countries, the first edition of TestMu conference brings the testing community together
- Ohjelmiston laatua voi parantaa kääntämällä ajattelun päälaelleen - ”On luonnollista kirjoittaa ensin testi”, Tivi
- Top 20 software testing twitter influencers
- Interview with Maaret Pyhäjärvi by Nicola Lindgren
- Tech Talks With Maaret Pyhäjärvi: Exploring The Next Stage Of Automation Testing
- Saucelabs on Women in Testing: Maaret Pyhäjärvi
- You Can Change the World in This Field, Aalto University News June 8th 2020
- Työn voi räätälöidä itselleen sopivaksi, spring 2020
- Maaret Pyhäjärvi uskoo että tekoäly korvaa nopeammin koodaajia kuin testaajia: "Testaajien tekemään suuntaan ollaan jo menossa" in Tivi August 30th, 2019
- Buginen järjestelmä on IT-toimittajalle rahasampo, August 26th, 2012
I share as a practitioner with a wide range of interest in topics:
- Software Testing - Exploratory Testing and Test Automation
- Tech Ecosystems as Context (experiences ranging from windows applications to cloud and embedded software; product develoment and IT projects)
- Social Software Testing Approaches (ensemble and pair testing)
- Social Software Development Approaches (ensemble and pair programming)
- Teaching and Mentoring Testers and Programmers
- Learning and Experimentation
- Modern Agile
- Developer Productivity, Metrics and Management
- Conference Speaking
Minimalistic Speaker Rider
Since December 2019, I am on a traveling break as per requested by my teenage kids.
I'm happy to share my experiences in online conferences and deliver online workshops.
I have a full-time job at Vaisala as a principal test engineer and I teach limited amount
of sessions on the side for my side company maaretp.
I invoice 2500 euros for a full day training, and 1500 euros (+ VAT) for a conference (keynote) session.
I often waive my fees on request as long as this is also something all other speakers are doing.
I don't pay to speak - that is - if there is travel involved, I always expect those paid.
I don't participate in calls for proposals and consider invitation necessary. In encourage conference
organizers to consider all my talks on this site as proposals you can consider,
and I would be happy to deliver if I can make the schedule work.
I teach courses (0.5 days -> 3 days), also split into 2 hour sessions which is
works great for remote learning. My workshops are single-purpose sessions that
stand independent and are usually 1.5 - 2 hours. My talks are 30 - 60 minutes.
My free public sessions are posted under Exploratory Testing Academy tito.
| Speaker Image
Ensemble Testing (1 day)
Exploratory Testing Foundations (1 day)
Exploratory Testing Work Course (1 day) | Exploratory Testing Work Course (2 days) | Tutkivan Testauksen työkurssi (2 päivää)
Exploratory Testing on Computer Interfaces (APIs)
Diversifying Test Approaches using Constraints (1 day)
Exploratory Testing Essentials (1/2 day)
Test Automation Sampler (1 day)
Contemporary Test Management (1 day)
Exploratory Testing Applied (2 days)
Software and System Testing Foundations (1 day)
Test Design (2 days) | Testitapausten suunnittelu (2 päivää)
Test Activity Sampler (1 day)
Exploratory Testing with a Constraint: Automation (99 minutes)
Exploratory Testing with a Constraint: Unconfirmed issues (99 minutes)
Exploratory Testing with a Constraint: Self-Management (99 minutes)
Test a Text Field, Test a Button (99 minutes)
Incremental Test Planning (99 minutes)
Test Coverages: Code, Requirements, Risks (99 minutes)
Exploratory Testing an API (99 minutes)
Mock the Response to Target Testing (99 minutes)
Ensemble Testing Roleplay (99 minutes)
Contemporary Exploratory Testing Ask Anyone Anything (99 minutes)
Visual Test Retrospective (99 minutes)
Test Strategy Visualization (99 minutes)
Becoming Public Speaker (99 minutes)